Veritas Academy practices a biblical philosophy of admissions, not discriminating on the basis of race, sex, color, or national origin in the administration of its policies, admissions, scholarships, athletic, or other school directed programs. Veritas Academy realizes that our classical, Christian-based, university model homeschooling supplemental program is not for everyone. Accordingly, we are selective in our admissions policy.
Admissions Committee: Admissions are overseen by, at a minimum, the Veritas Academy Headmaster, Administrator, and at least one member (or designee) of the school board.
The steps below constitute our typical admissions process for new students, which may be supplemented by additional interviews and requests for information as necessary to ensure an informed admissions decision.
1. Submit an online expression of interest form. Once a prospective student and their parent(s) determine that Veritas Academy is an educational option they would like to learn more about, they are encouraged to submit an online expression of interest form. This form will collect basic contact information, prospective student name and grade level, and relevant prior schooling information.
2. Prayerfully consider the distinctives of Veritas Academy. In response to the receipt of an expression of interest form, prospective families will receive links to material that they are encouraged to review (electronic files or hard copies will be sent if requested). These links will typically include:
- An overview of Veritas Academy
- Information and recommended readings on Classical Christian Education
- Information on applicable Ohio homeschooling laws and requirements (HSLDA brief)
- A copy of the Parental/Student covenant students and their parent(s) will be asked to sign as part of the admissions process prior to enrolling in classes at Veritas Academy.
3. Attend an informational meeting. Periodically throughout the year, and with increasing frequency during peak admissions times, informational meetings will be scheduled to help prospective families learn more about being a part of Veritas Academy. This informational meeting is designed to share more information about Veritas Academy, answer the questions of prospective students and their families, and provide a chance for families to see the facilities where classes are held. At the conclusion of the informational meeting, an admissions packet will be given to each family.
Out of respect of our student’s safety and to ensure we maintain a constructive learning environment, unscheduled “drop in” visits to the school are not permitted. Classroom visits may be considered on a case by case basis, but due to the disruption that can occur these are considered at the school’s discretion. As an alternative, a family meeting may be scheduled with individual teachers.
4. Complete an application form for each student and pay the family application fee. Complete the online application forms, print and sign the parent/student covenant, and pay an annual application fee of $200 per family. Your application fee is fully refundable if your child is not admitted to Veritas Academy.
5. Schedule placement testing (if applicable). Upon receipt of the student registration and application fee, reading or math placement testing may be scheduled. Families are responsible for the cost of any assessments that are required for proper class placement. Placement testing may be waived if prior year standardized test scores are provided and accepted by Veritas Academy.
Placement testing is required for:
– New students
– Current students who aren’t in good academic standing
– Current students who desire advanced placement in math or English
6. Attend a family interview: The final step of the admissions process is a family interview. The family Interview provides the opportunity for you to have any remaining questions answered, as well as allow the Admissions Committee the opportunity to get to know you and your family better. After the family Interview, the Admissions Committee will consider all components of the admissions process and make a decision regarding your application. Finally, you will receive notification of the committee’s decision and instructions to complete the registration process if your student is admitted.
Class Registrations: Class sizes are typically capped at 18 students, and registration will be on a first-come, first-served basis with the following priority considerations:
– Families who have children currently attending Veritas Academy in good academic standing will be eligible for early registration.
– Students taking four or more classes at Veritas Academy (Full-Time Student) will receive preference for class placement. Students taking one to three classes (Part-Time Student) will not be guaranteed class seats until 30 days prior to the first day of school.
– Decisions to increase the class size limit or add additional classes will be at the discretion of the Headmaster, Administrator, School Board, and applicable teacher.
Currently Enrolled Students: Currently enrolled students in good academic and disciplinary standing (no D or F final grades and no pattern of disciplinary misconduct) will only have to complete step four to register for classes. They will also have the opportunity for early enrollment prior to the opening of general enrollment for new families. The Parent-Student Covenant will need to be completed each year and given to the school office with the registration fee. Students not in good academic or disciplinary standing may be asked to complete steps two, five, and six as part of the registration process.